Corona: information and measures
This is Antwerp follows and supports all measures imposed by the Belgian National Security Council to contain the further spread of the corona virus, and to protect people belonging to risk groups. Here, you'll get an overview of these measures - which are applicable until April 19, 2020.
:: update ::
All measures taken by the Belgian government will still be applicable until communicated otherwise.
However, the government is working on an exit strategy.
Starting May 10, this is new:
- Families can invite 4 people to their home. Choose wisely, because these are the only four people that, for now, can ever be invited to your home. If possible, meet them in your garden. Always respect that 1.5 meter distance
- Stores will re-open on May 11. Strict rules apply. In Antwerp, this means the main shopping boulevards and streets can only be visited in one walking direction. De Meir, the main shopping boulevard, can be walked in two directions, but stick to your lane, do not cross others and keep your distance. If stores are busy, it is advised to walk away and come back on a later date. If that's not possible, wear a face mask (which you can buy at supermarkets or pharmacies)
- Wearing a face mask on any form of public transport is mandatory. Controls will happen
- Markets won't re-open
- You can now enjoy the outdoors with two extra people (including yourself, that's a maximum allowed number of people of three)
- Sportsevents are still cancelled until July 31
- Working from home is still standard
:: end of update ::
Previous - but still applicable - measures:
- Big events (like music festivals) are cancelled until August 31, 2020
- the most important and basic rule is now more important than ever: STAY HOME AND AVOID SOCIAL CONTACT
- Working from home will become standard, as long as your job allows this
- Travel that is not essential, is suspended
- All commercial enterprizes (including bars, restaurants, and hotels) will close down
- All public events are suspended
- Public transport won't be shut down, but will be organized in such a manner where people can keep at least 1.5 meters distance while travelling
- Belgian borders are closed. No need to travel to Antwerp or anywhere else in Belgium, you can't get in
- If you don't keep to these rules (and the ones below), you can and will be prosecuted
More information at info-coronavirus.be.
Late 2019, China saw the outbreak of a new corona virus, SARS-CoV-2. A very contagious virus, very dangerous for people belonging to one of the risk groups. Ever since, this virus spread across the globe, to Belgium and Antwerp as well.
Belgian health authorities are doing everything in their power to protect everyone's health. And so should you! Follow these simple rules, and you'll already be saving lives.
:: STAY INSIDE
:: DON'T GET TOGETHER - not even with friends at your own home
:: KEEP YOUR DISTANCE - when you do go outside (only do so if you have NO CHOICE), keep a distance of at least 1 meter between yourself and anyone else
:: WASH YOU HANDS
:: DON'T PANIC - there's no need to panic. Which also means you don't have to raid stores. There's plenty of food, toilet paper, water,... in stock
For more information, tips, guidelines,... check info-coronavirus.be. We cannot stress this enough: FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES, AND YOU WILL SAVE LIVES.
Can you still visit Antwerp?
There are no travel restrictions for Antwerp. You can still visit the city. However, all institutions, bars, restaurants, museums, clubs,... will be closed until April 3. Only pharmacies and grocery stores will remain open.
Also, check the advise your own country's authorities give on travelling to Belgium.
Bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, leisure, and sports
- museums, churches, cultural centres, and sports centres will be closed
- all events are cancelled or postponed
- clubs, movie theaters, cafés, restaurants, coffee bars,... will be closed. However, you can still pick up food from chip shops. You cannot stay at those shops to eat your food, though. Home delivery and drive-ins are still allowed
- Antwerp's Zoo is closed. The city's parks will remain open, for the time being
- museum tours and city walks organized by the city of Antwerp, are canceled. If you have any questions about your tour, please contact our friends over at Visit Antwerp
- hotels remain open. However, their bars and restaurants will shut down as well. Vacation rentals, guest houses, and B&B's are closed
Public transport won't be shut down. However, it is requested you limit your use of trams, trains, buses,... Only board them if you really really REALLY have to. Preferably outside rush hour. Also pay attention to basic hygiene. Sneeze and cough on the inside of your elbow, don't touch anything if your hands aren't clean,... More guidelines to be found at info-coronavirus.be.
One last time...
WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER :: COUGH AND SNEEZE ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR ELBOW :: NO KISSING :: NO SHAKING HANDS :: MAINTAIN A SAFE DISTANCE FROM OTHERS :: STAY HOME
! ! ! STAY INSIDE - SAVE LIVES ! ! !