Corona: information and measures
This is Antwerp follows and supports all measures imposed by the Belgian National Security Council to contain the further spread of the corona virus, and to protect people belonging to risk groups. Here, you'll get an overview of these measures - which are applicable until April 19, 2020.
:: update ::
Starting March 18, all measures taken by the Belgian government will be applicable until April 19.
On top of previous measures, this is new:
- the most important and basic rule is now more important than ever: STAY HOME AND AVOID SOCIAL CONTACT
- going out is only allowed if: you have to go to work, you're going to a food supply store, to the doctors', the to post office, bank, pharmacie, gas station, or when you're on the move to help people in need
- all stores considered not essential, will be closed. Except for: food supply stores, pharmacies, pet food supply stores, and newspaper stands. You will be allowed in these stores under strict supervision. Only 1 customer / 15 square meters is allowed in. Night stores have to close at 10 p.m., markets are forbidden
- All gatherings that aren't family related, are forbidden. Working out in the outdoors is still okay, but is only allowed if you're accompanied by 1 person (either family or a friend) tops
- Working from home will become standard, as long as your job allows this
- Travel that is not essential, is suspended
- All commercial enterprizes (including bars, restaurants, and hotels) will close down
- All public events are suspended
- Public transport won't be shut down, but will be organized in such a manner where people can keep at least 1.5 meters distance while travelling
- Belgian borders are closed. No need to travel to Antwerp or anywhere else in Belgium, you can't get in
- If you don't keep to these rules (and the ones below), you can and will be prosecuted
More information at info-coronavirus.be.
:: end of update ::
Late 2019, China saw the outbreak of a new corona virus, SARS-CoV-2. A very contagious virus, very dangerous for people belonging to one of the risk groups. Ever since, this virus spread across the globe, to Belgium and Antwerp as well.
Belgian health authorities are doing everything in their power to protect everyone's health. And so should you! Follow these simple rules, and you'll already be saving lives.
:: STAY INSIDE
:: DON'T GET TOGETHER - not even with friends at your own home
:: KEEP YOUR DISTANCE - when you do go outside (only do so if you have NO CHOICE), keep a distance of at least 1 meter between yourself and anyone else
:: WASH YOU HANDS
:: DON'T PANIC - there's no need to panic. Which also means you don't have to raid stores. There's plenty of food, toilet paper, water,... in stock
For more information, tips, guidelines,... check info-coronavirus.be. We cannot stress this enough: FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES, AND YOU WILL SAVE LIVES.
Can you still visit Antwerp?
There are no travel restrictions for Antwerp. You can still visit the city. However, all institutions, bars, restaurants, museums, clubs,... will be closed until April 3. Only pharmacies and grocery stores will remain open.
Also, check the advise your own country's authorities give on travelling to Belgium.
Bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, leisure, and sports
- museums, churches, cultural centres, and sports centres will be closed
- all events are cancelled or postponed
- clubs, movie theaters, cafés, restaurants, coffee bars,... will be closed. However, you can still pick up food from chip shops. You cannot stay at those shops to eat your food, though. Home delivery and drive-ins are still allowed
- Antwerp's Zoo is closed. The city's parks will remain open, for the time being
- museum tours and city walks organized by the city of Antwerp, are canceled. If you have any questions about your tour, please contact our friends over at Visit Antwerp
- hotels remain open. However, their bars and restaurants will shut down as well. Vacation rentals, guest houses, and B&B's are closed
- food shops, animal feed shops, and pharmacies will remain open. On weekends as well
- all other shops and services will close on weekends, but remain open on weekdays
Public transport won't be shut down. However, it is requested you limit your use of trams, trains, buses,... Only board them if you really really REALLY have to. Preferably outside rush hour. Also pay attention to basic hygiene. Sneeze and cough on the inside of your elbow, don't touch anything if your hands aren't clean,... More guidelines to be found at info-coronavirus.be.
One last time...
WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER :: COUGH AND SNEEZE ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR ELBOW :: NO KISSING :: NO SHAKING HANDS :: MAINTAIN A SAFE DISTANCE FROM OTHERS :: STAY HOME
! ! ! STAY INSIDE - SAVE LIVES ! ! !